Monday, July 20, 2009

Suffering? Really?

I was thoroughly disappointed to read the below in the Sunday Times this past weekend whilst enjoying a bowl of shreddies. I sought out the article online and was heartened somewhat to read the comments at the bottom which agreed with what I was thinking at the time of reading.

Have a read and let me know what you think yourselves...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6715020.ece

As Mrs T rightly points out, why is the 'good' story tucked away at the bottom (bottom right corner on the printed copy)? It worries me that the Sunday Times would promote such an article so and I fear it is only going to pander to the negative stereotypes already out there, poor show from the Times.

4 comments:

  1. Hi M,
    Couldn't agree more, it really upset me, maybe that's the hormones... but you are right it just continues to feed the outdated opinions out there of the ignorant. And the positive story was, apart from being tucked away, very sparse in comparison. I wish they would speak to more people like us and see what the 'new' reality is for our children. I also wondered what would happen if - god forbid - one of her 3 children had an accident and ended up disabled and a 'burden' on the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fully agreed, if that did happen to one of her kids, they would want to seriously be checking their cornflakes in the morning for any heart stopping pills...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very disturbing. I do not want to go into the whole abortion debate, I believe it is a personal issue. But the description of the "ceremonial" around it is so creepy... It reads as if the child was lost through a stroke of fate, not through a parental decision.... Is this denial? And if it is, why put it out so publicly? Very disturbing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These stories upset me greatly, and I know that I'm not alone in this. Just know that that's why these blogs can be so important. You never know when a mother will read about your beautiful child and decide to give her child a chance.

    ReplyDelete